Performing routine maintenance and repairs can save you money in the long run. Some of these tasks require physical labor and mechanical knowledge so if you’re not comfortable performing these tasks yourself, don’t be afraid to hire someone or ask for help.
· During Central Oregon winters our roofs are hidden by snow. Spring is a great time to check the condition of your roof.
· While inspecting the roof clean out your gutters and check for separation points and cracking. Heavy snow accumulation during the winter can be tough on gutters.
· Clean or replace your furnace and A/C filters. A dirty filter can lower the efficiency of your system.
· Clean the clothes dryer exhaust duct, damper and space under the dryer. Lint build-up can cause a fire.
· Check the chimney of your fireplace or woodstove for creosote build-up. It’s much less expensive to hire a chimney sweep in the spring or summer.
· Test the pressure relief valve on your hot water heater. It’s also a good time to drain a few gallons from the bottom of the tank to reduce the build-up of scale.
· Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and replace batteries if necessary.